ISBN-10: 1785316788 ISBN-13: 978-1785316784
Pitch Publishing Release
The Lost Shankly Boy is an enthralling tale of triumph over adversity and hope amid despair. It tells the story of George Scott, a poor boy from a fishing village in Aberdeen, who dreamed of a career in football and ended up rubbing shoulders with one of the game’s managerial greats, Bill Shankly. Shankly would assemble a team to rival the famous ‘Busby Babes’ – his very own ‘Shankly Boys’. With Tommy Smith and Chris Lawler already at the club, he would add Gordon Wallace, Bobby Graham and a 15-year-old George Scott – ‘the lost Shankly Boy’.
Scott provides a fascinating insight into modern Liverpool’s formative years and Shankly’s Anfield. His is an untold story of a dream crushed and of a career rebuilt in Scottish football and taken to new heights in the South African Premier League. The Lost Shankly Boy speaks to every kid who dreams of football glory. It is a never-say-die tale of passion, commitment and hard work that will resonate with anyone who has ever tasted the pain of rejection – only to rise again and grow stronger.
The Lost Shankly Boy: George Scott’s Anfield Journey is the enthralling life story of one of Bill Shankly’s first Liverpool signings. Read and discover:
- How a poor boy from Aberdeen developed into a professional footballer, courted by his home town club and scouted by Liverpool FC
- The life and times of an apprentice footballer in 1960s Liverpool amid the Merseybeat explosion
- An eye-witness account of Bill Shankly’s formative years at Anfield, as he rebuilt a club languishing in the Second Division
- Key insights into Shankly’s training methods along with personal accounts of encounters with Liverpool’s greatest figures
- Behind the scenes stories of some of the greatest moments of the Shankly era, including the 1965 FA Cup Final and victory parade
- How a young player’s heart was broken and spirits lifted by the words of one of football’s greatest orators and motivators
- Life after Liverpool, back home with Aberdeen FC, football glory and a brush with death in the South African National League
- Encounters with footballing icons, a movie star and a US diplomat, as a new life is built after football
The Lost Shankly Boy: George Scott’s Anfield Journey is Jeff Goulding’s fourth book. His previous titles include Red Odyssey: Liverpool FC 1892-2017, Stanley Park Story: Life, Love and the Merseyside Derby and We Conquered All of Europe: Red Odyssey II. Jeff is a lifelong Liverpool supporter and a season-ticket holder at Anfield. He writes for a number of football websites, including This is Anfield and These Football Times.